Friday, May 25, 2012

This was a must have for me.

I had been wanting to know what the name of this tree is for years. A lady in my town has it growing in her yard. I always admire it's beauty. I was riding my horse with a friend of mine and we were passing her house, low and behold, she was outside watering her beautiful plants and I asked her what it was, so she picked me a cluster of flowers from the tree. Those blossoms smelled amazing. She thought it was called a Chocolate Chip tree. She offered to GIVE me the cutting that had just rooted. So I rode home and got my Jeep and went back to collect my new tree WHOO HOO!!! I gave her some of my prized babies in return. Here is a picture of the flowers, and above is how the leaves appear when in a more shady environment. The leaves will be smaller in full sun. I am never satisfied with just getting a plant without knowing what it is, so as soon as I got it home I was on the computer finding out all about my new addition. This is what I found.
In the dense cloud forests of Mexico and Central America, the competition for sunlight has created plants that grow abnormally huge!  The Giant Tree Daisy - Podachaenium eminens - is a great example of this gigantism.  This wacky daisy relative grows 25 feet tall, with oversized leaves that get almost 2 feet across.  Its flower clusters are equally large, with platter-sized sprays of pretty, white & orange blooms.  You'll almost certainly be the only one in your neighborhood with this plant.  It is very rare in cultivation and rarely seen for sale.


                Next pic is my newest baby tree. I am in love HA!


1 comment:

The Agrarian said...

I want one, I want one! WOW - that is a beautiful (and unusual) tree... Can't wait to see how it grows up.

Amazing!