Friday, November 8, 2013

What Were Your childhood Food Favorites??


When I think back to my Childhood Meals, I have several favorites that always come to mind. One of them I made tonight. I don't make it too often, maybe once every 3 or 4 months. It is the Cheesesteak Hoagie. I have always loved them. My mom made them with Steak-umms,(sliced Steaks), caramelized onions, and American Cheese. To me the flavors are superb. The combination just screams comfort food. Here is my process for making them.
First thing to do is cute up your onions and caramelize them. I used large Sweet Onions, I love sweet onions.

After about 15 min on medium heat they look like this.
After about 30 minutes they look like this. If you want them done in less time you would have to stand there and turn them often, I have other things to do so I have them on medium heat and just check on them and turn them frequently.
When they are done, use the same pan to cook your Steak-umms, or if you have leftover steak, slice it thin and use that. I have done both, I am just a fan of the Steak-umms.
This is what they look like when you first put them in the flying pan. They cook VERY fast so you can't walk  away from them.
In about a minute on high heat then turn them over and cook for another 30 seconds, or when they look done to you.
this is what they look like after I flipped to other side. 

Here are the onions and steak piled up on a plate.

French rolls and American cheese. 

I spread mayonnaise on the rolls and then added the cheese on them. I put the rolls in the oven on 400 degrees until cheese melts. Take them out of the oven, put on a plate. 

Add the meat and onions and ........ 

Here is the final product. Oh so good.

No comments: