Friday, July 13, 2012

The Chicken Chronicles

We have a chicken problem here. Wild chickens everywhere, roosters too. Sorry but I do NOT like to be awaken by roosters every night and morning. They are sooooo loud. There was a new batch of babies recently that I could not allow to stay wild. They could all turn into roosters or future babies. There is no ban on wild birds so they can just breed and breed and breed. You get my point.

We have finally taught our dogs not to kill the chickens, now the chickens, roosters and babies come into our yard. Fine, it's ok, UNTIL they decide that uprooting my allocasia, plumeria, red banana, and palms was ok. HECK NO. That's not happening. TIME TO CATCH said chickens. 

It took 2 days but we caught the hen and her 8 babies, in our elaborate trap, well it was a havahart trap, large dog crate and many hands and baling twine.








after the birds were all caught and safe in the coop, Christopher decided that the X-Pen was a great fort.

And trapping the resident coyote dog was a good idea too.

Oh no coyote dog has escaped.

well guess it's just the wild boy.

He finds it relaxing to be in a cage it seems.


Kids, haa 

How can you not love them? I sure love mine.

2 comments:

The Agrarian said...

How adorable - the kid, that is.

You know, I know, all about unwelcome chickens in the garden. I see their little dust bath holes in your picture...

Catch 'em, sister! Fried chicken, anyone? Just kiddin'. You know I would never fry unwelcome chicken.

Shoot... I'd bake them. Totally.

Toodles.

Tracey said...

I know how much you are plagued with chickens. We are now in the chicken wars. They girls are not getting along. NEVER ENDS LOL