Friday, July 20, 2012

I love Elephant Ears

One of my favorite plants is an Elephant Ear. Mine is either a Colocasia esculenta or a Colocasia gigantea  
The picture above this one is just yesterday, the one with my son is from about a week ago, see the change in the size of the leaves in just a week? It is turning out to be something from Jurassic Park to my sheer delight.  

This one and the one below it I got from google images. The one below is black taro (elephant ear) they are edible, not the leaves but the root.


I got this one off of the website in the picture. Look at the size of it.
Here are mine in better light. They love their location. Only a couple hours of mid morning sun.

Look how tall it is getting, my daughter is 5'5" so I am thinking its already 6' or more at this time.

Nice hat for the Kentucky Derby???


I love how big they are, my husband says they are blocking his view outside our bedroom window lol Oh well he is going to have to come to terms with our sweet elephant ears....

Some internet information I found for you.

Colocasia esculenta is a tropical plant grown primarily for its edible corms, the root vegetables whose many names include Taro and Eddoe. It is believed to be one of the earliest cultivated plants. Rhizomes of different shapes and sizes. Leaves up to 40x24.8 cm, sprouts from rhizome, dark green above and light green beneath, triangular-ovate sub-rounded and mucronate at apex. tip of the basil lobes rounded or sub-rounded. Petiole 0.8- 1.2 m high. Spathe up to 25 cm long. Spadix about 3/5 as long as the spathe, flowering parts up to 8mm in diameter. Female portion at the fertile ovaries intermixed with sterile white ones. Neuters above the females, rhombiod or irregular oblong. Male portion above the neuter. Synandrium lobed cells 6 or 8. Appendage shorter than the male portion.

No comments: