Monday, June 4, 2012

Flowers, I love Flowers

The above picture and the one below are of the same flower, it is Tacca chantrieri (Dioscoreaceae-the Yam family). After Seeing the diverse array of  black orchids out there, it is tempting to classify this sinister thing as an orchid. The bat flower, as it is affectionately known, actually belongs to the plant family that includes yams and other herbaceous vines. What appears to be large, darkly colored petals are in fact involucral bracts, and not floral structures at all, just like the festive red 'petals" of the poinsettia. The real flowers are the cup-shaped structures within, surrounded by distinctive whiskers. If you can grow Phalaenopsis orchids really well, this Malaysian terrestrial should be will-suited to your conditions: it likes shade, high humidity and good air circulation.
I took most of the text from above from another website so you all would know more about this beauty. I took the two above photos at The Conservatory of Flowers in San Francisco, Ca. back in 2004

 

I loved this Hibiscus, It was huge. My friends hand shows its size, also from the Conservatory of Flowers in San Francisco.

This one was amazing, just look at that color, at Conservatory of Flowers.

This is one of my favorite flower pics, I actually took that, yep I sure did.
It is a Water Lily flower, from the Conservatory of Flowers.
Beautiful Orchids from The Conservatory of Flowers, Not sure what species this one is, but it is gorgeous. This one is Arboreal (grows in trees, no soil) 

This is a Pitcher Plant from the Conservatory of Flowers, these are bug eating plants, some of these Pitcher Plants actually eat rats and mice.
This is a Cactus flower from my Cactus.

This is a flower from my Double Purple Datura


Last but not least. A picture of a Zinnia garden at the Conservatory of Flowers, these two pics are for my dear friend who knows who she is.... She loves Zinnia's.


No comments: