Friday, June 1, 2012

SQUIRRELS, SQUIRRELS, AND MORE SQUIRRELS

We have had problems with Squirrels, lots of Squirrels. Last year between Chickens and Squirrels, my newly planted garden was destroyed. The only plant that survived the brutal attack was a lone Zucchini. Poor lonely soul.

So this year was going to be different. I told my husband I must have a garden and can't have vermin eating my garden. I was ready to bring out the 9mm, but I am not an animal killer so I would have been doomed.


This guy was MEAN, He was hissing and striking the Havahart trap. Trying to tear my face off. 
 Not sure if you can see teeth but his were very large and in charge. He was going to rip me limb from limb.
See his tail how it is raised up and fluffy. He was making noises I presume it was a warning to me to stay away, or he was camera shy. 
Not his best side. 
Rather cute but destructive. He is now down in the riverbed with his buddy's living the high life far away from my garden beds.

Here is a video of him. There is more to this story. Last year my husband tore the face off our chicken coop, using the coop as a storage area. It is a very large coop maybe 10x16 maybe. We had no chickens. Only one Rooster. Our Coco Bird. Coco has a deformed foot. It grew to the side while he was in the egg. I told my husband that he needed to catch the squirrel and the chickens so I can have my garden. He agreed. He borrowed a Havahart trap from our Aunt. He set it up and said watch this. I am a hunter from way back. OK I said. Just do it. Within 2 hours, what do you know! yes a squirrel. So my husband and son took him to the riverbed and turned him loose. Came back, reset the trap and within a few hours what was in there you ask? Two not one but Two Chickens (WHAT) yes two chickens and that was a small trap. so we had Coco in a huge wire dog crate outside because he was attacked by another rooster. So we but the two hens in with him to his delight. Reset the trap. Again another squirrel was caught. Off to the riverbed, Set free, back home to set trap. Another chicken, another squirrel. You get the point. So Final count was 7 Squirrels, and 6 chickens and 2 roosters in a small havahart trap and other posts show how well my garden is without my pesky friends. My husband put the face back on the chicken coop and we now have. One rooster, 6 hens, and 7 baby chicks. Oh and ZERO squirrels.

No comments: