Tuesday, June 5, 2012

It all started with Turner and Hooch

Turner and Hooch, That is the movie that started me on the path of having one of the most amazing breeds of dog I believe there is, I know everyone loves their dogs and thinks they have the best breed. Maybe they do...for them. For me, the Dogue de Bordeaux (French Mastiff) Reigns Supreme. The above picture is of my first dogue, his name was Justice. He was a fantastic puppy, he hardly chewed on things other than his toys. Sometimes he would find something that he just had to have as a chew toy, like the remote for the tv, but he was overall a great pup. He was potty trained at 4 months 100% I showed him. He was my constant companion. He went everywhere with me. 

He had a Dove, with wings and even an eye on his chest.

He loved to roll in the grass, lovingly chewing his toys to shreds.

He loved to be with my horses. Chasing them outside the roundpen.

He was full of character. He would pick up the leadrope and lead Shantillie around.

He was not dog aggressive, he had friends, like this Jack Russell (Dixie) 
Justice and his pup friend Mini Bull Terrier (Thor) Thor just loved him and Justice loved him too. They would play for hours. 
He was my baby.

He loved toys and bones. See him working on his lobster, he felt the need to unstuff the toy.

I worked long hours at one point in time and when I got him he wanted to play and I needed to rest so I thought it was time for him to have a companion to play with. So I contacted my breed rescue and they found me a female that was available for adoption. So, Cheyenne came to live with us. Justice HATED Cheyenne for the first 3 weeks I had her. Whenever she so much as passed him, he would growl at her, and finally he decided he wanted to keep her and they were together every minute of the day and night. 
Justice on right, Cheyenne on left. 
Justice on left upside down, and Cheyenne on right.

He loved to ride in the Jeep, he was raised hanging out the side of the Jeep, what a spectacle he made of himself. LOL
Then, you know I had to teach Cheyenne to ride in the Jeep along with Justice. I always had them both with me. Cheyenne is on the left and Justice is on the right. 
This pic is of Justice and his breeder at one of our dog shows. They were having a fun moment. Everyone loved Justice and he loved everyone too. Justice passed away 9 days shy of his 6th birthday of cancer.
Cheyenne missed Justice very much as was never quite the same. She didn't like playing with other dogs after he died. She did however love Christopher, my son. She would follow him everywhere.
She was about 3 when I rescued her. She lived to be somewhere in her 9's 

She too loved her bones. 

She loved to hunt, she was looking for a lizzard here. One time Christopher(son) had a lizzard in his hand and she snatched it from him. Boy was he upset. 

Still searching for that elusive lizzard

yep, still looking.

Oh maybe there is one over there.

Just maybe.

I think so.....


This was my last night with my girl, Cheyenne had a series of strokes over the last year of her life and had trouble walking on her own. She was not in any pain, just couldn't walk anymore. It was time to say goodbye to her. She was an amazing dog and we loved her very much. 
This is Andre, the next rescue. He was very skinny and underweight when I got him. Cheyenne and him got along right away. 

Just got his first bath. He smelled horrible when he arrived.

See how skinny he was, I would say about 30 pounds underweight.

So skinny. Time to fatten you up.

He followed Cheyenne all around the yard.

He was a sweet dog, but he had a side.. He was very protective of me very fast. My roommate(guy) walked out back and he let him know real fast to keep clear. LOL! If my roommate was not already grey he would have turned grey real fast! LOL

Here he was after about a year of having him. Nice weight wouldn't you say???

Here is my latest girl, this is Ronan. She was a brood bitch and was not treated very well. The previous owner dumped her at the animal shelter after he used her up. I am not sure how many puppies she had but I would guess at least 4 litters. She too, was very underweight.  

She was unsettled for about a week then she was fine.
Such a pathetic face. She looked so sad. She had no idea what was going on.

However she did take to the couch pretty fast. 

She liked my husband Shane right away. We got her in October of 2010 

Here she is today, happy and healthy.

See her smile.


Such a great girl.

She is very playful with me and the rest of the family.

You would probably think Bordeaux's are slow because they are so large but they can run very fast.

She goes out with me to feed the horses every feeding.

Waiting patiently.  

There will never be an end to this story. I will always have Dogue de Bordeaux in my world.











1 comment:

The Agrarian said...

Man, you dun got me all misty-eyed. The dogs are stunning! You do such an amazing job with your animals.

I never knew it was Dogue de Bordeaux - just always thought bordeaux. I'm learning.

Now I'm going to go blow my nose and dry my eyes.